The Community Foundation offers scholarships that have been created by donors and are tailored to the wishes of each donor.
To apply for a scholarship, please review the related guidelines, determine your eligibility and submit the appropriate materials. Designated scholarship committees will review all of the applications, schedule any necessary interviews and submit materials for review and final award decisions.
Be sure to follow the guidelines carefully. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted. Prior to submitting your completed application, be sure to review all requirements and ensure that you meet the designated deadline.
- JOHN H. HOWARD MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP - DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS MARCH 29, 2019.
John H. Howard of Austin County loved and respected the land, and he wanted to leave it better than he found it. A long-time hay producer, this Memorial Scholarship is dedicated to identifying students and future leaders who are interested in continuing his legacy.
The John H. Howard Memorial Scholarship is available to graduating seniors from Brenham High School, Bellville High School, Burton High School, Sealy High School and Brazos High School who are interested in attending a licensed, accredited trade/vocational school, technical school or community college [e.g., Texas State Technical College, Blinn College–Hodde Technical Educational Center, Vista College, etc.] in Texas.
Preference will be given to students seeking certification in a trade or related training. Students showing an aptitude for certain trades are encouraged to apply including career interests in information technology, veterinary tech, auto mechanics, barber/cosmetology, dental assistant, dog training, environmental management, floral design, healthcare, HVAC/R, occupational therapy, paralegal, paramedic, plumbing, police, welding, x-ray/radiology technician, horse shoeing [farrier], appliance repair, plumbing, among other vocational trades.
Five  scholarships will be awarded in the amount of $5,000 each. Scholarship funding will be provided in two separate payments [payable to the trade/vocational school, technical school or community college] as follows: $2,500 for the Fall 2019 semester [first half of program] and $2,500 for the Spring 2020 semester [second half of program]. The second half of the scholarship [$2,500] will be provided assuming that the student maintained a 2.8 GPA [B letter grade] for the Fall 2019 semester [depending on the respective trade/vocation school/community college] or if student is successfully progressing in program. Academic score/high school rank is not a requirement for this scholarship; financial need will be considered. Scholarship can be used for tuition, fees, books and supplies only.
TO APPLY FOR THE 2019 JOHN H. HOWARD MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP:
1. Complete scholarship application.
2. Attach an essay (no more than 2 pages) about your accomplishments, trade/vocational interests or college plans, and career goals.
3. Attach a copy of your most recent high school transcript.
4. Attach 3 to 5 letters of recommendation from teachers, counselors, and a neighbor, employer, etc. [USE REFERENCE FORM PROVIDED] [WORD FORM] [PDF FORM]
5. Enclose a copy of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for this financial need-based scholarship. Your counselor or trade/vocational school or technical college financial aid office can provide this application.
6. Mail or E-Mail application [PDF APPLICATION] [WORD APPLICATION] [WORD-FILLABLE APPLICATION] and all attachments by March 29, 2019 [postmark date] to:
Community Foundation of the Brazos Valley
c/o JOHN H. HOWARD MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS
P.O. Box 2622
Bryan, Texas 77805-2622
[EMAIL APPLICATION TO: email@example.com]